Question 2: I recently ordered a new Lenovo laptop online. I got the y510p. My problem is when I connect to the WiFi it says limited connection. I have tried many "fixes" online but none have worked. I really need help. Does anyone know how to fix this?
|WiFi “limited connection”|
After installing Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, users frequently get into the trouble WiFi “limited connection” or “no Internet access”. There are various reasons for that. According to the most common causes I summarize 10 solutions to cope with the trouble. Hope to help you well:
Solution 1: Examine whether your modem, adapter, router and access points are turned on and connected correctly.
- Make sure the modem, adapter and router are connected correctly and the lights are on.
- Re-seat all the cables and power cords.
- Start the computer and open the Windows Desktop. On the Windows desktop, click the Network Connection icon, then click the name of the network and click connect.
Solution 2: Reset power to router and modem
After working for a long time, your router or modem may crash temporarily. In this case you need to reset power to your router and modem. Please follow the steps below:
- Unplug the power to the wireless router and to the cable or DSL modem and wait at least 30 seconds before continuing.
- Reconnect the power to the modem and allow it to re-establish a connection to the ISP. If the modem has indicator lights, wait until the lights indicate a connection. (If using a separate wireless router, reconnect the power to the router and allow it to re-establish the connections to the modem and other components)
- After the modem and router have finished making connections, check whether your computer can connect to WiFi and have access to the Internet. If not, please refer to the following solutions.
Solution 3: Re-configuring the wireless network
- Get into” Network and Sharing Center” from control panel and then click “Set up a new connection or network”.
- In the “Choose a connection option” window, select “Manually connect to a wireless network”, and click “Next”.
- Type the required wireless network information, and then click “Next” and “close”.
- From the Windows desktop, click the Network Connection icon in the notification area, and then click the name of the network. Click "Connect". Enter the network password (or security key) for the selected wireless network, and then click “Next”.
Solution 4: Moving your computer closer to the router and avoid the influence of solid objects and electrical appliances
As is known to us, a wireless network router has a limited broadcast range. The further the computer is from the router, the weaker the broadcast signal. And also Solid objects such as walls, metal furniture, and electrical appliances might interfere with the signal and decrease the usable range. Thus you can move your computer closer to the router and prevent your computer form solid objects and electrical appliances.
Solution 5: Connect the computer directly to the network router with an Ethernet cable
To determine if the connection problem lies with the router settings or with the wireless signal you can follow this way. Detailed steps are as follows:
- Insert an Ethernet cable from one of the available ports on the router to the network port on the computer.
- Wait for one minute, and then check the Network Connection icon in the notification area on the Windows desktop.
- If the icon has an X in the lower corner, the connection is not working. Right-click the icon, and then click Troubleshoot problems. Windows Network Diagnostics checks for problems. If Window Network Diagnostics is not able to fix the issue, the router is not working properly. Refer to Solution 6: Resetting and reconfiguring the router
- If the icon does not have an X in the lower corner, the connection is working. Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the computer, and manually setup a new connection to the wireless network.
Solution 6: Resetting and reconfiguring the router
In case that your router is hacked and the information is changed is changed by others. This way will work. Refer to the instructions below:
- Enter the default IP addresses for the router into the URL address field on the browser. The following list provides default IP addresses for several routers.
- After the home page for the router displays, type a password to perform configuration tasks. (See the User Guide for model specific information)
- When you have administrator access to the router, change the router's default name, sometimes it is called an SSID, a name that is different from other routers in your area.
- Set up Wi-Fi protected access (WPA) or wireless encryption (WEP) to prevent other computers from connecting to your home network.
- Enter a network access password, sometimes called a passphrase. Make sure to pick a password that is easy to remember, such as a phone number that you dial often or a phrase that is familiar.
Solution 7: Updating the router firmware
Outdated firmware may prevent the router from accessing the Internet or certain Web pages. Log into the home page for the router and update the router's firmware. Consult the User Guide that come with your manual for information on how to perform a firmware update.
Solution 8: Installing updated wireless LAN driver and Bios
If no network connection icon is displayed within 15 to 30 seconds after enabling the wireless network, or if a Windows Device not Found error message displays, the software driver might be missing or corrupt. To fix this, download and install the latest drivers and BIOS from the Internet. You must know the exact model number or product number for your computer. Be sure to select the correct operating system.
If the computer was able to connect to the wireless network in the past, but now cannot connect, perform a “Microsoft System Restore”. Make your computer return to the previous state.
With the nine solutions most people are supposed to solve their WiFi “limited connection” or “no Internet access problems. If the solutions above don’t work for you don’t hesitate to contact the manufacturer for support.